From Fox News.
Dozens of terror suspects were arrested in Belgium, France, and Germany early Friday, a day after Belgian authorities said that they halted a plot to attack police officers by mere hours.
Eric Van der Sypt, a Belgian federal magistrate, told a news conference Friday in Brussels that 13 people had been detained in Belgium in connection with the plot, with another two arrested in neighboring France. He added that a dozen searches had led to the discovery of four military-style weapons including Kalashnikov assault rifles.
On Thursday, Belgian police had moved against a suspected terrorist hideout in the eastern town of Verviers. In the ensuing firefight, two terror suspects were killed, while a third was wounded and arrested.
At the time, officials said the militant group targeted in the raid included some who had returned from Syria. Authorities have previously said 300 Belgian residents have gone to fight with extremist Islamic formations in Syria; it is unclear how many have returned.
This is what happens when you dabble in “multiculturalism” and allow an influx of muzzies from Arab Islamic nation states.
From Fox News.
Police stopped a “Belgian Charlie Hebdo” late Thursday, with government agents killing at least two in raids aimed at jihadists returning from Syria who were planning to launch terrorist attacks “on a grand scale,” according to police and prosecutors.
The raids included one on an apartment above a bakery in the eastern city of Verviers, authorities said. They said no officers were injured and that the suspects opened fire on them as the swooped in. Authorities said the terror cell had ties to ISIS and was planning a major attack.
“We’ve averted a Belgian Charlie Hebdo,” an unidentified police officer told La Meuse.
It was not immediately known if the suspects in Belgium had direct links to the terror cell that carried out last week’s attacks in Paris. But much of Europe is deeply concerned about homegrown jihadists sympathizers – and passport holders – who are returning battle-hardened from Iraq and Syria. Thursday’s raids came as a man suspected of selling guns used in last week’s terror attacks in France was being detained in another part of the country.
Magistrate Eric Van der Sypt told reporters in Brussels that the suspects were on the verge of committing a major terrorist attack. He said at emergency news conference that anti-terrorist raids are underway in the Brussels region and Verviers and that Belgium’s terror alert level was raised to its second highest level. The raids were part of an investigation into extremists returning from Syria.
The public prosecutor’s office confirmed the deaths of two suspects and arrests of “several” more. Federal prosecutors were quoted as saying there had been a police operation aimed at jihadists who have returned from the Middle East to the city of 55,000, some 70 miles from Brussels.
Explosions and gunfire were apparently heard near the station, according to Belgium’s public broadcaster RTBF. The Belga news agency said there were several casualties and police activity was continuing. Another official told the agency it was “jihadist-related” and a news conference was scheduled for 8 p.m. local time.
Expect more of this. Muslims have declared war against the West and if we’re not prepared to do what it takes to kill them and eliminate the threat to our civilization, there won’t just be more ‘Charlie Hebdos’ will be more 9/11s.