From CBS News.
Defense Secretary Leon Panetta calls the criticism of the Obama administration’s handling of the Libya terror attack “Monday morning quarterbacking.”
Panetta defended the way the White House handled the aftermath of the deaths of Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans who were killed during an attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi for which terror group Ansar al-Sharia took responsibility.
Panetta said that they didn’t have enough “real-time information” to send military forces to respond.
“(The) basic principle is that you don’t deploy forces into harm’s way without knowing what’s going on; without having some real-time information about what’s taking place,” Panetta said, according to The Associated Press. “And as a result of not having that kind of information, the commander who was on the ground in that area, Gen. Ham, Gen. Dempsey and I felt very strongly that we could not put forces at risk in that situation.”
Gen. Carter Ham is the head of U.S. Africa Command and Gen. Martin Dempsey is the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
Earlier this week, CBS News obtained State Department emails that provided a timeline of the events that took place at the Benghazi compound on Sept. 11.
The first email sent from the State Department Operations Center to such agencies as the White House Situation Room, the FBI and the office of the Director of National Intelligence, among others, at 4:05 p.m. on Sept. 11 stated that the Benghazi compound was under attack.
“The Regional Security Officer reports the diplomatic mission is under attack. Embassy Tripoli reports approximately 20 armed people fired shots; explosions have been heard as well. Ambassador Stevens, who is currently in Benghazi, and four COM personnel are in the compound safe haven.”
The next email, which came at 4:54 p.m., said that firing at the Consulate “has stopped and the compound has been cleared.” Officials said that a response team was on site to locate the American personnel.
The final email that came at 6:07 p.m. states that terror group Ansar al-Sharia claimed responsibility for the attack.
“Embassy Tripoli reports the group claimed responsibility on Facebook and Twitter and has called for an attack on Embassy Tripoli.”
That weak accusatory statement is coming from a Defense Department chief who dropped the damned ball. After repeated requests for help and additional security from the U.S. embassy staff in Benghazi, the only thing Panetta and company could muster up was an unarmed drone to watch as Al Qaeda attacked and killed 4 Americans.
“…without knowing what’s going on; without having some real-time information about what’s taking place…”
What the hell???? Urgent real-time emails that described the attack as it happened weren’t enough to convince Panetta, Ham, and Dempsey of what was going on.
The muzzie terrorists couldn’t have made it more clear if they walked up to Leon and smacked him upside the head with a fucking clue.
When Mitt Romney takes office, the first order of business should be to clean house and eject Panetta and the kowtowing Dempsey in particular, as far from the DOD as possible. Cowards like them have no business being in a position of authority.
Obama on Benghazi: Four Dead Americans is “Not Optimal” (sfcmac.wordpress.com)
WTF?? One of Our Drones Observed the Terror Attack on the Embassy in Benghazi (sfcmac.wordpress.com)
- Panetta: We didn’t defend consulate under attack because of a lack of intel (hotair.com)
- Bullshit Leon! This entire administration should be impeached, convicted and imprisoned! (oforchristsakes.wordpress.com)
- BREAKING: CIA Requested Help During Benghazi Battle, Were Denied Three Times (pjmedia.com)
- OBAMA FIDDLED AS BENGHAZI BURNED – President Refused to Call in Troops From Italy One Hour Away (thegatewaypundit.com)